HOW IS THE SURGICAL PROCESS OF SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY?
Sleeve gastrectomy is a stomach reduction surgery used for the treatment of obesity.
The operative process is comfortable and the rate of complication is relatively low.
It achieves a truly satisfying weight loss.
It is currently the most commonly performed bariatric procedure world-wide.
SHOULD YOU UNDERGO OBESITY SURGERY?
-You have excess weight for years,
-Diet, exercise or similar methods do not work,
-You regain weight even if you lose,
-You experience obesity related problems and daily life difficulties,
-Your body mass index is still higher than 35
HOW IS THE SURGICAL PROCEDURE?
First, Patient Information Form is filled, and the patient is evaluated for eligibility to the operation. Then, detailed information about surgical procedure and postoperative period is given and joint decision is made.
Day 1: CHECK-UP The necessary appointments are provided, all analyses, investigations and consultation are previously planned, and completed in company with our clinical coordinator nurse within a day.
Blood count, Extensive Biochemistry, Vitamin and Hormone Levels, Ultrasonography, ECG, Echocardiography, Effort Test, Pulmonary Function Test, Chest X-ray and Endoscopy are performed with all patients.
All patients are evaluated by Endocrinology, Cardiology, Chest Diseases Specialist, Radiology, Gastroenterology and Anesthesia specialists.
Final assessment is performed by Dr. Güler before the surgery. Necessary measures are taken to make the operation safer. Our patients are informed once again, and verbal and written consents are received.
Day 2: OPERATION, Walking 4 hours after the operation.
This surgery removes the large portion of the stomach, which is in the form of a balloon under normal circumstances. The operation is performed while the patient is under general anesthesia with closed(laparoscopic) surgical technique. Abdominal wall is not opened.
The operation is carried out with a telescopic camera and rod-shaped tools that are inserted into the abdomen through the small holes. Automatic stapling and cutter devices are used. The curved part of the stomach (approximately 70-80%) is released and removed. The stomach is transformed into a long, vertical narrow tube. As a result, stomach capacity is reduced to hold only a small glassful of food at each mealtime.
Day 3: Water drinking starts, Respiratory exercise, Walking.
Day 4: Liquid foods are initiated after X-ray control or CT.
Day 5: “Nutrition for Adaptation Period” education, and “Rules, Controls, and Follow-up After Surgery" training are given by our team. Patients who will stay in Antalya are DISCHARGED.
Day 6: Patients who will travel out of Antalya are hosted one extra day in our hospital.
WHAT IS THE WEIGHT LOSS MECHANISM?
Structural and functional changes created by the surgery decrease the appetite and limits eating and drinking.
The ghrelin hormone is among the major factors that regulate the feeling of hunger in the stomach. Most of this hormone is secreted by the curved, main portion of the stomach. This portion of the stomach is removed. After the procedure, blood ghrelin hormone levels are reduced significantly. Feeling of hunger is diminished and appetite decreases. Since the digestive tract, where the foods flow, is relatively narrow in the postoperative course, the pace of eating slows down and the feeling of satiety is facilitated.
After the surgery, there will be an eating adaptation period for one month under the guidance of a dietitian. In the first two weeks only fluids are allowed, followed by soft foods in the next two weeks. Solid food intake can be initiated at the end of one month.
The appetite will be diminished drastically. It will be possible to feel satiety with much smaller servings than usual. Healthy nutrition habit will be rapidly adopted spontaneously.
♣Patients feel less hungry, eat less food slowly and feels full rapidly.
The surgery does not cause significant impairment of the functioning of the digestive system. In the first few months, there will be a relatively limited food intake and rapid weight loss. Thus, patients are advised to have protein supplements in powder form, and multivitamin support for the first 3 months. Also, drugs are prescribed in order to help reduce gastric acid release.
♣Over the long-term, no problems should occur in the absorption of foods essential for the body.
HOW ARE THE SURGICAL OUTCOMES?
Among all types of surgery, the sleeve gastrectomy is generally considered to carry a mild risk. Since sleeve gastrectomy is performed with the closed (laparoscopic) technique, wound and pain problems are minimal. The majority of patients do not experience any additional problems. The likelihood of experiencing any problem, which may prolong length of stay in hospital is only less than 1%.
The patient can be mobilized in the same day, as laparoscopic technique is used for the operation. Hospitalization for 3-4 days will be sufficient and patients will be able to resume their usual daily activities within a few weeks.
Follow-up results are almost excellent. Patients start losing weight within the days following the surgery. Patients lose half of their excess weight within three months. The weight loss becomes remarkable within several months. and reach to a status close to their ideal weight in one year.
The long-term medical follow-up results of thousands of patients show that the sleeve gastrectomy patients lose 80% of their excess weight.
♣Most of the excess weight is lost within one year after surgery.
Physical and psychological relief associated with weight loss improves daily quality of life perceivably. It offers a chance to make a fresh start to life.
In the months following the surgery, most of the obesity-related diseases such as sleep apnea, type2 diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, leg varices, knee pain are greatly healed. These improvements occur spontaneously after the start of weight loss without requiring any additional therapies.
The sleeve gastrectomy is increasingly become a preferred option by patients and surgeons since the course of the change created by the surgery is almost natural (physiological), the weight loss effect is satisfactory, and the rate of the side effects is low.
ANSWERS TO FAQ - OBESITY SURGERY PROCESS
- Sleeve Gastrectomy may be done to persons on age between 18 and 65.
- It is not recommended for persons with chronic alcoholism.
- Smoking must be definitely avoided during a week before, and a month after the operation.
- The operations and follow up of the patients are performed by Dr. Güler, himself.
- Nasogastric tube, urinary catheter and abdominal drainage are not used except for extremely rare conditions.
- Recovery time is short, work loss is not seen.
- Liquid and puree form foods should be consumed within the first month. Active support is provided by the nutrition specialist and bariatric nurse in the adaptation period.
- All patients are recommended to receive vitamin and protein supplement during the first 3 months.
- A control list is provided during discharge. Control dates and investigations are followed up by our team. Online remote follow up is available.
- Persons with sleeve gastrectomy do not fight with the desire to eat.
- They feel less hungry, eat less, can eat everything, become fed up fast.
- Sleeve gastrectomy does not initiate any additional healthcare problem.
- The rate of weight loss is variable, depending on initial weight and metabolic features of the patient.
- Weight loss stops spontaneously when person-specific ideal weight limits are approached.
- Over weight loss is not seen. The likelihood to becomeobese again is less than 1%.
- Patients who lose weight more than 30 kg and do not exercise regularly may encounter with skin sagging.
- Our hospital offers accommodation services during allprocedures. In addition, there is no need for hotel accommodation.
- Our patients are hospitalized in single rooms, and can stay with companions also.
- You are not obliged to come with an accompanying person. Social support is provided by our team to the patients who come alone.
- We welcome our patients at the airport on arrivals, and see them off on departures.
WHAT KIND OF A HOSPITAL?
Medicalpark Antalya Hospital is the largest private hospital of Mediterranean region. It is affiliated to MLPCARE Group, which is the most widespread private hospital chain in Turkey.
It is the hospital where the most common organ transplantations are performed in Turkey and Europe. The hospital contains all medical specialties and all modern medical equipment.
All advanced therapies are performed in our hospital including Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Stem Cell Transplantation, Radiotherapy, CardiovascularSurgery, and Intensive Care.
In our hospital which is located in Antalya, tourism capital city of Turkey, active Health Tourism Activities are carried out in all medical specialties, especially Esthetic Surgery, Hair Transplantation, and DentalTreatments. Our hospital has translation services in 10 differentlanguages.
Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery Clinic of Medicalpark Antalya Hospital was established by Dr. Mehmet Güler in 2014. Our clinic is currently one of the leading obesity and metabolic surgery centers in Turkey.